Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Here we go again!

Working Speed is a matter of personal choice I assume. I work rather fast, not giving my spectators much time to think. Which helps me to get away with rather bold methods. I've been criticised by many magicians to be that darn fast. I do not give my spectators the time they need to enjoy the magic. Really?

The attention span is set low due to the decades of TV. The ability to process information has risen due to the decades of Internet information abundance. Therefore I assume my spectators are well equipped to handle the speed and still enjoy it.

However I have tried to go a little slower in the past few weeks. And you know what? No fucking difference. The reactions are the same. So it all comes down to personal choice again. Do I want to show a lot or is my repertoire limited?

I do not want my spectators able to remember every single trick. I want them to remember that they had a great time. There is only one trick that I do that I want people to remember in detail. And that is my Coins Through Table routine. And I am very, very humble saying that my routine is the god damn best routine in the world, overshadowing every single published routine in history. (I only get certain bookings, because I promise to do that one routine.)

So that is the only routine I want them to remember, so I work very slow on that one. It is a nice counter point in terms of balance of the whole show.

If you work slow all the time, you have nothing special. If you work fast for one routine to counter balance your show people will feel cheated as they realize that they have seen very little magic.

2 comments:

Marplots said...

I tried applying this same logic to sex. She didn't buy it at all.

Seriously though, isn't there room for different styles? Some guys seem to do one trick with ten minutes of witty chatter and others can't pull that off. Different strokes for different folks.

What makes me cringe is the performer who thinks he's got ten minutes of good filler and he doesn't. Then, the whole thing heads off to boredom town.

Anonymous said...

What matters most is determining whether or not your audience is understanding and appreciating what's going on. To paraphrase the Dai Vernon quote, "Confusion is not entertainment." If your audiences are having a good time and "get" your magic, then keep moving forward. If, however, you were NOT getting the reactions you desire, then it's time to make a change.