Monday, April 23, 2012

Winner Helder Guimarães

It is April. In celebration of this blogs three year existence, the whole month will be winner time. Only the coolest and best members of our elite circle of nerds will be featured.

Today: Helder Guimarães

Red glasses and some great chops. Chances are that those two attributes are enough to describe Helder Guimarães well enough in the magic world, so he gets recognized. I remember when he put out that Red Mirror DVD. There was a disclaimer, that Helder wished that you don't do the material he teaches, but instead use it to come up with your own stuff, that suits your performing character. A very valid point he was making. And then I remember Craig Petty of the Wizard Product Review bashing the DVD because of this disclaimer. To him it seemed like that if you buy the DVD you have all the right to perform the material as it is taught. What an idiot. Any professional magician has no interest to do other peoples material. Naturally!

Having seen that DVD it opened my eyes and made me rethink and restructure several of my own material. Especially the chapter about conveying an image to the audience first and then realizing the image via magic. His vision has truly helped me to become even more unique. This is quite a feat. One I need to applaud with enthusiastic acclamations.

Of course there are views I don't share and think differently:



But not sharing his opinion doesn't mean I cannot like him. I know where his thinking comes from and I assume I know where he wants to see himself and magic. And in that regard he is absolutely right. Artist don't do tricks. Magicians are artist and therefore don't do tricks.

 Helder Guimarães is a winner in my book. A great thinker and a superb magician.

1 comment:

Aroon Deep said...

Thought you would never feature him. Guy has seriously awesome skills :D