Saturday, April 24, 2010

David Blaine




It is April. In celebration of this blogs one year existence, the whole month will be winner time. Only the coolest and best members of our elite circle of nerds will be featured.

Today: David Blaine!

Hold on to your sanity... yes, David Blaine is a magic winner. I guess I don't need to link to any YouTube videos on this one. You all know him.

Unlike many magicians he seems not to boost his ego by saying how great he his, for whom he performed and how many prizes he won. He has managers who do that for him. He is one of those performers who doesn't need a fully blown script, whose patter feels amateurish, yet he is able to captivate a whole audience. How come... my humble theory: to laypeople he is genuine. He seems like a real guy who happed to do magic. And I am not saying he does tricks, no he does magic.

David Blaine is exactly the character one would have the belief that he could be the real thing. He seems modest, doesn't jump into the spotlight once the magic effect is done and doesn't talk a lot. He simply does magic and then shuts up.

Well we all know why he does it. In order to get bigger reactions, but still that leaves a good light on him. In a real bizarr way he seems larger than those who point to themselves after the effect saying "Look at me, I did this, I deserve applause."

No comments: