Wednesday, October 14, 2009

EDEN - New Author!


Deutsche Version

Hi everyone,

My name is Eden. I've been doing magic professionally (paying all my bills, and only source of income) for two years now. I live in Vancouver and I consider myself a street performer first, with some corporate work on the side.

Just going to do a quick rant, since it's my first day on the job, and I am already showing up late for work.

Why do we, as magicians get caught up in the hype machine over and over again? Every time a new product is announced, there will be a massive seventeen page thread on the "Magic Café" debating how amazing it's going to be and someone will inevitably say "Oh, I've known the inventor for twenty-three years and he's one of the brightest minds in magic and I can't believe he's actually selling this and I wish I could buy all the copies just so I could keep it to myself" and then dozens of "magicians" (and I use the term loosely here) will chime in on how "this looks amazing and it's going to be the next big thing and this is going straight into my act and thanks so much for releasing this, inventor!" ...and all this before a demo video goes online. Case in point: search for the little man discussion thread on the Café.

Why do we do all this garbage? It's not going to make you the next big star. It's not going to get you a headlining spot. It's not going to get you a TV show. It will sit in your bottom drawer next to your Raven, Black Widow and Gecko. What will make you a better magician? Hard work, practice and performing for real people. In the flesh. (not over webcam! next weeks topic!)

That's all for now.

Eden loves you and hopes your dreams come true.

No comments: